Friday, September 16, 2011

PRE-ADMISSION DAY

Well I have to say that in spite of all the negativity you hear about waiting time at the hospital, I had no waiting at all.  I showed up during 'coffee break' but was lucky enough to meet with the 'pharmacy lady' and have a good gab about all my personal health stats.  When we finished, thinking very proactively, she plopped me down in another waiting room and registered me for my EKG. That took about 10 minutes. I went back to the pre-admin area, had another nice long chat with a nurse about my surgery and after care.  We discussed just about everything I would need to know before and after the procedures.

For those of you who may have to have an operation here is a sampling of my questions:

Q.  How long is the surgery? 
A.  About one hour from anesthesia time to clean up.

Q.  Will I be breathing on my own or will a machine breath for me during the surgery?
A.  A machine will do the breathing.  You will be paralyzed.

Q.  If I have no muscle control, will I poop on the table?
A.  Umm, no, but good question.

Q.  I will be on my period during the surgery.  Tampon or pad?
A.  Pad.

Q.  Can I see the tumor?
A.  Wellllllll, umm, I believe it has to be shipped immediately to the Path lab in Halifax.  You better ask your surgeon.

Don't be afraid to ask questions.  They hear it all. 

So, after that we discuss the procedure I will be having on Monday...never a dull day with cancer.  Anyway, it is called a Sentinel Node Biopsy

Q.  Will it hurt?
A.  Yes.

I don't want to give you all boredom cancer by describing the procedure so here is a link if you want to read about it.  I'll be pissing blue urine for a day or so. I will have a blue boob as well...I'm considering doing a fund raiser by letting people touch my blue radioactive breast for money.  Hannah, my daughter, didn't think her father would approve.  I told her I wouldn't charge him full rate. 


After that I had a chest x-ray and blood tests.  The blood test really hurt but I totally took advantage and set the chair up as a recliner.  She commented that most people don't choose that area to relax.  I said 'shhhh'...I need a few seconds to relax. I was in the hospital less than three hours but I was completely exhausted.  I think I was oxygen deprived from holding my breath most of the time.  I was terrified of picking up germs at the hospital.  Today's fear was SARS...I washed my hands about 12 times while I was there and used so much alcohol rub that I believe I transdermally intoxicated myself.

Well, that's all I will tell you today.  I'll describe Tuesday's magic show in more detail and give you a picture of the node surgery when I get a chance on Monday.  I'm going to have a snuggle with the pups for a bit and then hit the sack. 

If you haven't booked your screening or follow up mammograms, do it now.  The pretty pink comfort pillow they give you isn't worth the inconvenience of giving up a year of your life..

Happy Friday evening
Cheers
Jeannie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for developing this website. The stories here are worth reading many times over in order to refresh us time and time again to do good and positive things and inspire or influence others to do the same.CELINE Scarves,Chanel Scarves,Canada Goose Coats

Anonymous said...

What a really fun blog!