Saturday, September 10, 2011

In the beginning...

Take it from me, be careful what you wish for!  For the last year or so I have been wishing away my breasts.  I was constantly muttering, 'God, I wish I could get these reduced', 'God, I wish I was flat chested', 'God, why didn't you spread the family mammaries out evenly between my sister and I' (her:  'A' cup me:  'F' cup)...Anyway, see what I'm saying.

So, I make a visit to Dr. Crosby because I have a sore spot on my left breast.  It turns out that it is the muscle buried under the breast that was sore.  Hurrah...however, I'm 40 so a mammagram it is.  Long story short, after a few phone calls and a core biopsy I was diagnosed with Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma, nuclear grade 2 (right breast).  Basically, it is cancer that started in the milk duct and continued to grow and spread into other breast tissue.  To save everyone the pain of looking up every term I added a short list of the terms I already had exposure to (look down).
So, September 14th I see Dr. MacMullin.  He is the surgeon who will chop out the tumor and the surrounding tissue.  If memory serves me correctly, I believe I will be losing about 25% of the breast. 

So, I will update after my doctor appointment on Wednesday and give all the nasty details.  Wish me luck!

3 comments:

caperscm said...

Best of luck Jeannie! All positive thoughts and energy being sent your way. Great blog! Keep us posted. Lots of love, Susie.

kellyeb40 said...

Thank you for sending me the link. I recently chickened out of my "Now that I am 40 mammogram"; I have called and left a message this afternoon to re-schedule.
I am so proud of your positive, gonna beat the shit of this cancer attitude. Best of luck with the appointment on Wednesday.
Love you!
Kelly

Evan said...

Little Jeannie, you got so much time, little Jeannie
Though you've grown beyond your years, you still retain the fears of youth
Oh little Jeannie, you got so much time, little Jeannie
But you're burning it up so fast, searching for some lasting truth...