Thursday, January 5, 2012

Yup, I'm a celebrity....LOL

I have to start out by saying that I don't want my friends to be intimidated by my improved social status. Yes, obviously I am better than you now but we can still be friends...secret friends but that just makes it all the more special. Remember, I am still the same girl I was Wednesday just REALLY popular. I still eat my caviar one spoonful at a time, just like the better people in the world ;o)

As most of you already know my little blog has made the front page of the Halifax Herald yesterday. I was as floored as everyone else when my husband woke me up to tell me the news. Well, not floored but very surprised because I didn't expect to see it until next week. I would like to thank Pat Lee from the Herald for taking an interest in my story and for not making me sound like a douche in the article.

I will be interviewed by Jackie Torrens from the CBC Radio at 3 pm tomorrow. The show is called 'Close to Home'. Pretty exciting eh!

Apparently the loud bang I heard from upstairs wasn't a ghost but the gigantic bottle of laundry soap which I left the cover off hitting the floor. Hannah described the spilled quantity as '8 towels worth'. I don't think she meant enough to wash 8 towels but 8 towels worth the soaking up...groan :o( now I'm going to have a big clean spot on the floor.

I want to give sincere thanks to everyone who has phoned, e-mailed, sent messages, commented on my posts or responded on Facebook. As uninteresting as my own story is I am glad to have the opportunity to spread the message that cancer isn't necessarily a death sentence. I really appreciate hearing your stories. I'm honoured that you want to share with me.

Anyway, I have a lot of soap to clean up so I better go. My final chemo is tomorrow...Yay!

Remember, We have nothing to fear but fear itself....and spiders!

Cheers
Jeannie

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeannie, I just wanted to drop you a line and thank you for your article in the paper and I admire your positive outlook on life. I read your article and I was so curious to read more I can straight to your blog. I wanted to let you know that I volunteer with Breast Cancer Action Nova Scotia and we are a survivor based group in Bedford. Please know that we are here if you need us. Our website is bcans.ca. Take care and keep us the great work!
Tanya

Unknown said...

Jeannie, remember: Spiders eat the more annoying insects that we want around even less...mosquitoes, black flies, earwigs, etc. I had a female garden spider living on her web right beside my back door late in the summer into fall. Each night when I let my dog out for his final potty break, I'd pet the spider good night. Can't understand why she scurried off every time. ;-) Anyway, you're doing a marvelous job of 'fighting the fight'. Good on ya! BTW, given the opportunity, I love petting snakes too, LOL. No wonder I requested that my little grandson call me.....

Gramzy

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeannie,
Yes you are a celebrity...and I'm well imagining all the emails you have received since Wednesday...I'm hoping somewhere in that long list of emails is the one I sent you.

Stay Positive..xo

Denise Lushman

claire said...

So happy that you had your final chemo.The exhaustion stayed with me for a few weeks, but after a while, I would get a GOOD day, so I'm sure this will be the same for you.And just so you know, I've gained 22 lbs since CHEMO,so you're not alone there either. I want to thank you for putting into words all that has gone on with so many of us,I was not able to articulate it like you have done.Best of luck with the surgery. You will stay in my thoughts.

Jeannie said...

Hi everyone
Thank you for the comments.

Gramzie, yup, logically I see your point about the spiders. I love bugs, snakes, frogs, etc. but can't get past the fear of the 8 legged monsters. I wish it was different. I guess I need therapy :o)

Tanya, thank you for the information. I am at a point now where I don't get panick attacks from looking at cancer related material. I will definitely check out the website ASAP and share the information with everyone.

Claire, thank you for sharing. The exhaustion is awful isn't it. The big issue is that you can feel great and by the time you are washed and dressed you are too tired to do anything. As a matter of fact for the past two days I went to the supermarket without makeup or tidy clothes on. I looked like a dying hobo and attracted a lot of attention. I probably won't do that again. I just wanted to buy potatoes without having to spend an hour getting ready. Anyway, I'm rambling so I should go.

Take care of yourselves and each other. Please feel free to share your stories because I love to hear them.

Cheers
Jeannie

CLAIRE said...

hi again,I just wanted to say on the exhaustion issue,that I would stay bald if only I could have strenght and energy to keep going.But on the plus side I had my last chemo DEC2and by THE MIDDLE of JAN I would get 2 or 3 days where I could keep on going,then be DEPLETED for a couple of days.Maybe it will be the same for you, at least that gives you a timeframe to think about,although THEY we are all different.I,m hoping I,m seeing the light at the end of the tunnel AND IT is not the WTONG TUNNEL!!!!
I started radiation JAN 3 AND IT IS A CAKE WALK COMPARED TO CHEMO.As this is your journey,I DON'T WANT TO GO ON TOO MUCH I JUST WANTED TO TELL YOU THE ABOUT THE TIME ITTOOK
ME TO GET SOME MEASURE OF ENERGY BACK,JUST SO YOU KNOW IT WILL.
ALSO YOUR POSTING ABOUT HOW WE LOOK ON THE OUTSIDE IS NOT AS IMPORTANT AS WHAT IS GOING ON INSIDE,IS RIGHT ON THE MONEY,YOU ARE NAILING EVERYTHING THAT IS IMPORTANT,I HOPE OTHERES TAKE HEED OF YOUR MESSAGE.
YOU ARE CONSTANTLY IN MY THOUGHTS,AND WILL CONTINUE TO FOLLOW YOUR JOURNEY.MY SINCERE BEST WISHES TO YOU AND YOURS.