Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Let's Get Naked

Howdy folks
After a few trips to Sobeys in the last couple of days I made a real discovery. First let me start by telling you that I went there with no make up on and I was dressed like a hobo. People who knew me and have seen me bald looked terrified by my condition. It was as if they were seeing me sick for the first time. I didn't bother mentioning that they saw me just as sick but just didn't catch on. People who should have known me didn't recognize me. The worst part was that people averted their gaze when walking by. I know I was hideous but not Regan from 'The Exorcist' hideous. It was a real eye opener for me. Since chemo started I took the time to use makeup, which I was not a big fan of previously, to disguise the cosmetic side effects of the treatment. I wasn't ashamed of being a cancer troll but for my own self confidence I found it helpful. I never heard a negative comment about my appearance. People were telling me I looked so healthy. I would tell them it was the makeup...nobody believed me. This made me think that our outsides don't always match our insides. What frightened me about this was that if people were judging themselves by their outward appearance would they take my little nudges to book a mammogram seriously. I knew, six months ago, I wouldn't have listened. So, I made a little video to show the variance of my looks from gruesome to bloody stunning...lol. Just kidding. It's actually me gussied up like Tammy Faye Baker. Then I strip down to look like I crawled out of a ditch after being left there by Hannibal Lecter. So, check it out...I called it The Naked Truth.

LET'S GET NAKED - CLICK HERE

Cheers
Jeannie

PS. Fixed it :o)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great video, Jeannie.. and great point. Booking an appointment because of you. xo
ps- My gawd you have beautiful teeth!
:)

Lee Ann Boudreau

Anonymous said...

The video was awesome Jeannie and so true that people can't see past our make up or nice outfit. Like myself I suffer from severe depression (worse in the winter) and if I throw on a bit of make up no one ever knows whats' going on inside my body,heart and mind. After you stripped the makeup and the wig you were still beautiful by the way!! xox

Denise Lushman

valerie said...

thanks so much for this video Jeannie I dont no why but this really hit me Im here in tears not sure its because of your strenght or thats im sad this happened to you i just made my appointment for a mamogram and youll be happy to know its tomorrow at 415 thank you so much for sharing lovessss ya :)

A said...

Jeannie.... Fantastic. Truly fantastic. We can cover so much of ourselves with hair, make up, clothes, but underneath it all... Under all of the security blankets, we are folks who hurt, who are having bad days, and folks who are just comfortable being us.

I work in a very professional environment where I look a certain way. I enjoy running into clients outside of work when I am hanging out with my daughter, or doing groceries etc and they don't recognize me. Love it.

Thank you so much for sharing your life with us. I may be a stranger to you, but I feel like I have known you, and want to know you more. You are an inspiring woman. Thank you for letting me into your life.

Alicia Tarbox said...

Jeanie, I have been reading your blog everyday since I read about it in the Chronicle Herald. I'm really not good at this kind of thing, so I am just going to simply say that you are amazing and how you are letting complete strangers into your life and to follow your journey, simply leaves me speechless. You are an inspiration to so many people. Don't ever forget that.
HUGE hugs from Hubley,NS

Alicia <3

Anonymous said...

let's get naked is great, glad you have it on YouTube, you can reach a lot of people that way. Thanks